Ozark Trails Academy is a place where troubled teens find hope, healing and purpose.
While attending Ozark Trails Academy, each student will have opportunities to explore many of nature’s amazing wonders in our awe-inspiring back yard.
Family focused, with individualized care, Ozark Trails rests on 750 acres including horses, chickens, farming, rafting, spelunking, rock climbing, hiking, wilderness learning, and so much more.
Our experienced staff will lead your son or daughter on adventurous hikes, sightseeing opportunities and other outdoor activities. We love our surrounding area and the wholesome outdoor experiences it has to offer. We all look forward to these wonderful outing incentives as it is an opportunity to grow and reflect as a person, and as a group.
Benefits of Outdoor Recreation
Experts say that outdoor learning is quite beneficial to students because it makes them healthier and happier, and they do better academically. The various benefits include: 1
- Students who get to experience an outdoor learning environment tend to be more attentive and, therefore, have a better recollection of the information that was shared.
- Consistent exposure to nature decreases stress and anxiety, helps elevate mood, and helps with emotion.
- Children often have too much exposure to digital screens via televisions, computers, and cell phones. This can result in a “nature deficit disorder,” which may lead to obesity and possible psychological and academic issues. Outdoor learning allows students to put their focus back on nature.
- Outdoor environments naturally inspire children to be more physically active.
- Exposure to bright sunlight found in nature is also healthy for vision. Bright sunlight is necessary for the eyes to develop properly, lowering the risk of nearsightedness.
- In outdoor settings, children are more motivated to work together in groups, which can improve their social skills. They learn to manage conflicts, communicate, and cooperate with their peers in a more effective manner.
- Outdoor learning provides children with hands-on experiences in nature. Most children learn better by using their senses. Outdoor environments provide the perfect place to do this. Instead of viewing different types of plants or wildlife on a computer or TV screen, they can see, smell, hear, and touch them in nature. Students can even start a garden and grow fruits and vegetables, which may have them wanting to sample their harvest. These hands-on experiences cultivate a love of nature and get them.1
Outdoor education and play support emotional, behavioral and intellectual development. Studies have shown that students who learn outdoors develop: a sense of self, independence, confidence, creativity, decision-making and problem-solving skills, empathy towards others, motor skills, self-discipline and initiative. 2
Learning outdoors is active and increases students’ physical, mental and social health. Some studies have even shown follow-up (e.g., non-school) physical activity increases with outdoor learning. Access to nature has also been shown to decrease the symptoms of ADHD. Outdoor learning and access to nature also decrease stress levels of students and teachers. 2
A number of studies have documented increased school performance through outdoor education. Research has document increased standardized test scores, enhanced attitude about school, improved in-school behavior, improved attendance and overall enhanced student achievement when students learn in and about nature.
In addition, outdoor education effectively employs a greater range of children’s intelligences. Many researchers contribute the increase in performance to increased relevance and hands-on experience of learning outdoors. 2
Healing in the Great Outdoors at Ozark Trails Academy
Troubled teens experience true healing and growth at our safe, remote residential treatment center home, school and ranch here in the beautiful Ozarks in Missouri. With room for up to 12 teen girls and 12 teen boys, ages 13-19, Ozark Trails Academy offers a “wilderness meets adventure” style program, as well as pure residential treatment, and focused academics.
From sunrise to sunset each day, students can find hope, healing and purpose in life, separated from harmful distractions. Instead, as they live and work on the ranch, troubled teens connect with nature, and the Creator, God. They experience a real change of heart, and become the person God wants them to be.
We also provide family focused and individual treatment care by licensed clinical therapists.
Ozark Trails Academy residential treatment center teaches teens ways to avoid destructive behavior, make the choice to change for the better, make good decisions, experience real success, develop healthy relationships, and then move back into a new and better life.
Give us a call today to learn more about our year-round program in Willow Springs, MO. (417) 278-6868